Saturday, February 3, 2018

​You can't inspect in quality

This is just a short post on applying industrial engineering principles to daily life.

At some point in my education, someone told me that it is impossible to inspect in quality. At the time it made sense from what I knew about inspections: people are bad at noticing rare events

Since then I have found a semi common application at home where attempting to inspect in quality is both tempting and a bad idea... Cleaning up broken glass. I have no idea how other people do it, but the system I have found to avoid the unpleasant outcome of stepping on glass is to clean extremely thoroughly twice, and then to conduct my first inspection. If I find any glass, I assume there are several more pieces I missed and do another cleaning pass.

Do you have any tips to speed up this process? Thoughts of other scenarios where it is tempting to try to "inspect in" quality? Leave your thoughts in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment