Sunday, August 18, 2013

First Post!

We are not always certain of the facts when we are trying to make decisions. To quote a famous politician: "There are known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns." In this blog I'll be exploring decision making and trying to explain rational ways to account for both the knowns, and the unknowns. 

This area is both personally interesting to me as I make decisions about food, transportation, health, and many aspects of life. But it is also academically interesting to me as a PhD student in Industrial Engineering. In my professional life, we call this approach "Optimization under uncertainty." But you don't need a fancy name to use the basic concepts in your daily life. I'm hoping that over the course of my posts, I'll be able to convey my general philosophy of making 'good decisions,' and what that means to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment